How do we build capacity in Pipeline 2?
Tony – What do you know of a pipeline? How does it work? Why is it important?
Brainstorm ideas – Values, skills are different and the interconnectivity with each other. The time of here and now in pipeline 1 and then looking forward as you go up in the pipelines. Conversations can be different at each pipeline. Students are a priority to adults are a priority in different pipelines. The difference for our environment and how we operate in pipelines.
Book to read – An everyone culture – organisational psychology
‘Culture as a Strategy’ – Hiding and minimizing risks to my identity . Research says from this book says ‘Burnout is because you’re worrying about your protecting image’
The true meaning of RESPECT – Another human being seeing again.The act of going back you are worthy of a second look.
My Reflection – Laminated classroom to this out of fear – fear of parents, image. Isn’t learning messy. What culture are we showing in our habitat? Do students know what they are? Why are they there? Do our students make choices about what goes on the wall? Choices about what they learn?
Variety of organisational structures- all show inbalance of power – in teaching = units of power. Pipeline looks like at each pipeline and the difference between each level. Not interested in power but how each level works.
Research asked pipeline 1 what they thought of other pipelines – ‘pipeline 1 said other pipelines are incompetent. The further away pipelines the greater perceptions of incompetence.
- Pipeline 6 MOE
- Pipeline 4 – Principal
- Pipeline 3 – DP/AP
- Pipeline 2 – Team Leaders – developing teacher capacity
- Pipeline 1 – effective with time – values base and skills to be effective
If you here in an organisation ‘Relationships are so cool here’ – this means alarm bells – are people being provocative and engaging in conversations that give dissonance or are they hiding?
Tony – would you like to be liked or honest with your team?
Different set of skills pipeline 2 – core business is adults. ‘andhagogical’ expertise. So what are they? Understanding different perspectives
- Skills – needed to be high performing -someone has worked out for you the set of skills you need and are mapped out. TKI – Professional dimensions – Educational Council.
- Time applications – devoted to teaching and time. Time controlled by yourself/enormous control of your time. Meeting to plan together / own choices. Not much time for blindsiding. Easy for time because you mostly control your time. Short term/medium term focused as act of teaching. Thinking here and now. Not thinking about next term. RSTT
- Values – All about self. Love being with kids. Can get frustrated with meetings, appraisal as it takes away from being with students. Frustrated when taking away from short-term interests.
Reflection Me –
How can I create a culture where our teachers drive long term plans/ideas for the greater good? Teachers would ask for meetings, Pd etc that takes them away from the kids. Asking the big question ‘How can I become better?’ Or how can we become a better team or organisation?
When you do these things you are not hiding, you’re putting yourself out there. Building capacity to support all to operate in pipeline 2. We have to value other value as the teachers become a priority not my students. Can’t hide in that pipeline. Developing teacher capacity – that’s why I get out of bed.
Skills – influencing other ideas. Communicating and conversations change.
- Facilitate reflective conversations
- Courageous conversations
- Facilitating Team meetings
- Engage in dialogue / Discussion – knowing when to influence each one – Me – Need to go over and define
Capability development of adults
- coaching, mentoring, delegating, directing,
- creating team culture
- being able to reflect
- open and honest conversations where people can speak up
- holding others to account
“Leadership is about making sacrifices” Tony B
My reflection – reflect on how I’m influencing/using these domains. Whats’ working and what hasn’t? Thinking about future staff and how they operate in each pipeline. Reflecting on pipeline 2 and how influencing capacity in team. Success of the people I am leading. Reflecting on the question from Ben…How’s your leadership going?
Sometimes have difficulty in delegating – Not dumping. Want it done my way so I’ll fix it. Pipeline 3 have to build a team within pipeline 2/3. So that pipeline 2 can share vision.
Me moving forward. So what now? –
- Thinking about future and building capacity now so that team have the skills, communication and time application to operate in pipeline 2.
- Slow process and reflecting on how I am doing this?
- Why do I choose the focus on teaming?
- Can we move to we in the team choose the focus.
- Others in the team leading capacity building? Proactive
- Ensuring I coach. Do I delegate?
- Team ensure welfare of all. Do we here..what can I do to help? Who steps up? Do some sit back and talk about their own work load.
How good is your community?
Coaching Mentoring reflection when relationships building – goal setting with Tony’s diagram
Hands off Hands On
Relationships Coaching Mentoring 95%success?
Task Directing Dumping/Empowering 5%