Morning Session – Julia talked about the growth of our school and consideration about growing organically and having the ability to respond quickly to change. Good to reflect on this and the reflections we do. She talked about too much structure can really stop growth. Julia also said that it was…
“better to deal with uncertainty otherwise the essence of who we are can get lost.”
We were posed with a question to provoke discussion between teams to reflect where we are at.
“Let’s talk about what you are currently finding challenging about the spaces?” Does your environment make a difference for learning.
Habitat’s response –
Plus – Students more around space with purpose, never crowded, find resources around the spaces, warm, light. Hays – being flexible, purposeful, supporting students and seeing each others mentors. Shared expectation, how we use spaces, planning for each other, timetabling, clear. Students enjoy learning in the spaces. Students enjoy using the spaces around the habitat. Choice for our students to what they learn. Self timetabling.
Challenges – Timetabling, teachers stuff, double use of space, constantly evolving the space and changing. Where to keep resources, noise at times, tiring working as a team, students need more input to space, lack of seating, shelving, bags and shoe space, mentor space to reflect and adapt to kids spaces. DATS space is a bit small for us in our habitat.
Thoughts from this…
- What does ‘Team teaching’ mean to us in our habitats? Ideas, Professional collaboration, Different modes of teaching such as parallel teaching, support teaching. Team teaching used to mean 2 teachers in one big space. Come up with a new term as it has an old connotation. What will we call it? Also more definition with language we use.
- Deliberate work with the kids to support what they do in each area. Julia talks about one school new entrance by NZ birds but took them to see the birds. Nature of birds to space. Leadership jobs. Soft systems structure.
- Inducting new students to help them understand to know the ropes. Going back over culture and values. Older ones for teaching.
- Learning hum, but sometimes we feel it’s noisy but good pockets of collaboration. More active in learning spaces.
- Morepork role is a different way of teaching, coaching not making sure everyone is on task. That on the right task learning.
SLT – when you walk around and scan environment you see huge amount of environment. Are we planning around the environment with a greater awareness. Links with learning conversations. Are the conversations about behavior or learning? (we are at a bit of a mix) Proximity of where students learn, form of communication about learning. Team teaching – what it should look like? Doing something spontaneous and the tension that is around this. Julia talks about the need for
Definition of space. Being flexible but not mucking up learning for everyone else. Buffer zones and sweet spots. Having activities for back up. BUT is this purposeful, could this be a right time? B -thinking about the use of space is new for teachers. It’s new learning. I wonder if we think about the sapce is for us or the students? Can be about self. Force ourselves to think about is this best for the students.
Where to next – Name spaces differently around the school. Alignment but not sameness. Agree of alignment but not straight jacket. Coming up with a framework.
Check out – OECD Evaluation of the physical Learning Environment (LEEP) from post-industrial world demand. Learning is about life-long learning competencies. Responsibility of schools today.
Three areas to evaluate (could look into habitat)
- Sufficiency (
- Efficiency (what % of students are using the spaces, are they all being activated)
- Effectiveness (does environment support the learning we are trying to do) (Learning-centered rather than learner-centered)
Students moving towards
- Positive dispositions to learning
- Learning how to learn
- Self-direction and self-management across school. (enormous amount of teaching, alignment across spaces, expectations or otherwise hard to work out. Universal code. Own principals such as 5 directions) Not same practice but alignment e.g collaboration, monitoring growth, deep learning, conversations
- Adaptability – not too efficient but not so adaptable that you can’t do what you want to do.
- Creative initiative
- ICT capability
- GLobal competence